This is the best snickerdoodle/sugar cookie recipe I have EVER found. I’m not sure what possessed me to attempt to make cookies with my child, but I apparently had a strike of crazy…maybe genius. She did AMAZING! She listened to directions, was so helpful, and clearly VERY excited to participate. I took our basic snickerdoodle recipe and added a few little twists to make them extra special!
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Brown sugar (optional), Pumpkin Spice Mix (or cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger), caster sugar (topping)
*Orange food dye (optional)
1. Mix butter, sugar, and eggs.
2. Blend in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
3. Chill dough in fridge for at least 30 min. This will make balling the dough much easier. Shape dough into balls with your hands (great time to get the kids or significant others involved)
4. Mix cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl. Some like a lot of cinnamon, some like a little. Make it how YOU want. Roll each dough ball in cinnamon sugar mixture.
5. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. THIS IS IMPORTANT! They do fluff up and expand.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes until just golden. The longer they bake the crunchier they will be. Remove from baking sheet. Eating them warm is obviously the best, but if you’re not eating them right away definitely store in an air tight container to keep them nice and soft!