These beautiful cupcakes made their debut on Mother’s Day, and popped out again for an Afternoon Tea and Oils Party, I hosted a few weeks ago.
Usually I make as much as possible homemade. Between church, schedule, and mom-ing, I did this one semi-homemade.
- 1 white cake box mix (NOT vanilla or yellow!)
- Purple and Yellow food coloring
- Lavender Oil
- Lemon Oil
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- A few tablespoons of milk
- Mix your white cake mix as per the box instructions. Divide into 2 bowls
- To one bowl, add yellow food coloring, to the other, add purple (or mix red/blue or pink/blue)
- Pre-heat your oven as per the box directions
- To your yellow batter, add 8-10 drops of lemon oil- depending on how strong of a lemon flavor you like.
- To your purple batter, add 6 drops of lavender oil. *Lavender is beautiful in desserts but can be like eating or drinking perfume very quickly, be mindful not to put a lot in!
- Bake as per box instructions
While the cupcakes are baking, mix your buttercream frosting!
- In a mixer (or bowl), cream your butter.
- Add the powdered sugar, and add milk a tablespoon at a time, until fluffy, frosting consistency is met! It usually takes about 4 tablespoons for me.
- Divide into 2 bowls. Add yellow and purple food coloring respectively.
- Add 5 drops of lemon oil to the yellow, and 5 drops of lavender to the purple
*Baking lessens the intensity of the oils, but since you’re adding them to frosting that won’t be baked, you can add the essential oils to taste here!
Allow the cupcakes to cool thoroughly so that the butter-based frosting doesn’t melt and slide off!
Pair the Lavender Cupcakes with the Lemon Frosting, and the Lemon Cupcakes with the Lavender Frosting.
*DISCLAIMER- Not all oils are created equal! dōTERRA Essential Oils are pure, and specifically qualified and tested for their ability to be used internally. For more info about that, check out my post about dōTERRA, HERE.